Interoperability of information systems
Transition to the cloud: today, the Chief Information Officer (CIO) takes on the role of orchestra conductor and now has to rely on a new generation of architects to help it manage systems interoperability.
From its position as the “keeper of the temple” of technologies deployed within the enterprise, the CIO is now responsible for optimising the costs, security and interoperability of the enterprise’s systems, be they in the public cloud, the private cloud or maintained on-premise.
In the face of this evolution, a new profession is emerging to take up the baton.
The mission of the cloud architect is:
- To ensure the interconnection of data and metadata between solutions, irrespective of whether they are hosted in a public cloud, a private cloud or hosted on-premise
- To guarantee the security of both data and inter-application flows, whatever the location of this data
- To offer end-users visibility of the location, freshness or transfer status of the data.
Guarantor of systems interconnection, whatever their location
So the role of the cloud architect is now paramount in order to provide the CIO with overall consistency between these out-sourced information systems, and therefore the expected quality of service. The cloud architect’s foremost tasks are:
- To manage and provide the requisite tools for the flows of data and metadata between applications
- To provide end-users with visibility of changes in these flows (BPM – Business Process Modelling)
- To ensure that the applications are available to end-users.
Guarantor of information security
Above and beyond data storage security – which is generally guaranteed as a legal requirement by the SaaS provider – every single business process must be made secure by the cloud architect:
- Supporting and converting a variety of data connectivity protocols
- Data quality
- Software agents to allow secure communication between systems
- Management and monitoring of integration flows
- Unique identification (Single Sign On)
- Synchronisation with corporate directories
There are numerous technologies and solutions suitable for orchestrating these flows.
Nell’Armonia maintains a constant watch on innovations in this field, in order to provide you with the most effective support in your choice and implementation of these solutions, to manage the best your infrastructure.